They contain all essential micro and macronutrients to keep those wrinkles at bay.
The keys to youthful skin are hydration, sunscreen, sleep, and plenty of anti-inflammatory foods. Here are the anti-ageing powerhouses that will keep your skin supple and glowing:
Dark chocolate (70% cocoa content or higher) is packed with antioxidants that lower skin-ageing inflammation. In particular, its high levels of theobromine and magnesium fight free radicals. These compounds are also linked with increased circulation and better moisture retention—both boons to beautiful skin.
Watermelon rejuvenates skin with its magnificently high water content—it’s 92% water! In addition, this fruit is a rich source of vitamins E, C, and A, which are all linked with healthy skin. Finally, it contains lycopene, an antioxidant that fights free radicals, making it a significant skin-saver.
Dark leafy greens, in general, are rejuvenating foods. Kale, in particular, is rich in active compounds like lutein, zeaxanthin, and carotenoids that appear to support your skin’s elasticity. These antioxidants may indirectly protect your skin from UV rays, free radicals and other toxins that accelerate skin ageing.
These six versatile #WholeFoods may almost reverse wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and other signs of ageing on skin — in women and men alike. These foods are abundant in vitamins, minerals, essential fats, proteins and protective antioxidants that give you younger-looking skin.
Above all, these fruits and veggies are versatile and delicious. They can go into a variety of recipes, be eaten as a whole or be used as healthier substitutes for routine ingredients. So, get these foods on your grocery lists and do your bit in naturally rejuvenating your body and skin.
- The relationship between food and the signs of aging Health and Wellness, Loma Linda University
- High-ORAC Foods May Slow Aging Agricultural Research Service, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
- Berries: improving human health and healthy aging, and promoting quality life–a review Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2010 Sep;65(3):299-308.
- Cocoa Bioactive Compounds: Significance and Potential for the Maintenance of Skin Health Nutrients. 2014 Aug; 6(8): 3202–3213.
- Cocoa and Chocolate in Human Health and Disease Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011 Nov 15; 15(10): 2779–2811.
- Discovering the link between nutrition and skin aging Dermatoendocrinol. 2012 Jul 1; 4(3): 298–307.
- Low carb fruits – 15 grams or less per serving MSU Extension, Michigan State University
- Regulation by walnut protein hydrolysate on the components and structural degradation of photoaged skin in SD rats Food Funct. 2019 Oct 16;10(10):6792-6802.
- Pomegranate Juice and Extract Consumption Increases the Resistance to UVB-induced Erythema and Changes the Skin Microbiome in Healthy Women: a Randomized Controlled Trial Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 14528.
- Anthocyanins rich pomegranate cream as a topical formulation with anti-aging activity J Dermatolog Treat. 2021 Dec;32(8):983-990.
- Influences of Orally Taken Carotenoid-Rich Curly Kale Extract on Collagen I/Elastin Index of the Skin Nutrients. 2017 Jul; 9(7): 775.
- Bioactive Compounds for Skin Health: A Review Nutrients. 2021 Jan; 13(1): 203.