If you are the parent or caregiver of a fussy eater, this episode is going to change your life! So much we thought we knew about mitigating fussy eating is wrong, and today’s guest, Noelle Martin, is here to share strategies that actually work. If you’ve been using certain foods as rewards for eating other foods, or pressuring your children to eat, don’t feel guilty, we’ve all done it! But those approaches have been shown to actually have negative effects. In this episode, you will learn how to instill the concept of “food is food” in your children and work within their parameters to make eating a more enjoyable process for them and for you. Mealtimes can be a major challenge or a special time for family bonding; this episode will help you transition from the former to the latter!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s guest, registered dietician Noelle Martin.
- Noelle explains why offering rewards for eating certain foods has been shown to have negative consequences.
- Examples of how to instill the concept of “food is food” in your children.
- How to capitalize on your children’s hungry times.
- Why we shouldn’t worry if our children will only eat vegetables with a dip.
- Benefits of presenting your children with options (but not too many).
- Power in using the terms “available” and “not available.”
- Changing your perspective and acting by example to make mealtimes more enjoyable for all.
- Noelle explains why we shouldn’t make a scene when a child eats the food that we want them to eat.
- Benefits of making food preparation fun and involving your children in the process!
- Exploring the concept of food-chaining.
- Why we shouldn’t refer to our children as picky eaters.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: