Today, we’re talking all things oats with a special guest, Simon Donato of Stoked Oats. From how to choose the right oat for you to why oatmeal might be the best breakfast you can eat, if you are oat-ally into healthy eating and living, then this is the episode for you!
Allison and Simon discuss the difference between steel-cut, rolled, and quick oats, why Stoked Oats insists on keeping their products gluten-free, and some of the water resource strategies they utilize to minimize their contribution to climate change.
We also touch on the benefits of the micronutrients and high soluble fibre found in oats and Simon shares which Stoked Oats products he suggests you try first, plus a whole lot more. This conversation is packed with great facts about oats, why they’re good for you, and the answers to all those hot topic questions, from non-GMOs to sustainable eating, so make sure not to miss it!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How to identify a field of oats; look for a green grass that looks similar wheat.
- Learn more about the journey of your oats from field to bowl, including how it’s processed.
- The difference between steel-cut oats, rolled oats, quick oats, and instant oats.
- What Simon believes is fuelling the increased appetite for oats in Canada.
- Find out what sparked Simon’s interest in oats; low glycemic index and high soluble fibre.
- Why non-GMO is important to him and his family; the benefits of keeping it simple.
- Simon speaks to one of Stoked Oats’ major pillars: keeping oats gluten-free.
- Their decision to select clean ingredients that are more or less as nature intended them.
- Hear about some of the water resource strategies that Stoked Oats has employs to minimize their contribution to climate change.
- Simon in the hot seat: spicy chips, invisibility, Happy the dwarf, apple pie, and more!
- The dirty side of grains and why Simon is passionate about sustainable eating.
- Beneficial micronutrients found in oats and why beta-glucan is a highlight for Simon.
- Some of the healthy eating routines that Simon and his family practice at home.
- Simon shares his favourite Stoked Oats products: Stone Age, Redline, and Bucking-Eh.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Simon Donato on LinkedIn
- Simon Donato on Twitter
- Simon Donato on Instagram
- Stoked Oats
- Stoked Oats Stone Age Oats
- Stoked Oats Redline Oats
- Nature’s Path
- Bob’s Red Mill
- Deliciously Geeky
- Allison Tannis on LinkedIn
- Allison Tannis on Instagram
- Natural Health Influencer on Instagram
- Pure-Lē Natural
- Pure-Lē Natural Organic Vegan Vitamin D + K2 Drops